Estimating your data usage
Estimating Data Usage
It is important to know that your usage allowance is the amount of data that you are allowed to transfer over the Internet. This may include transferring data as download (from other computers to yours) or transferring data as upload (from your computer to others).
How much do I download or upload?
- activities such as receiving and sending text emails, receiving and sending relatively short word processing documents and reading largely text-based Internet pages (browsing) would commonly use approximately 0.02 to 0.05 Mb per activity;
- receiving or sending still pictures might be expected to use anywhere between 0.05 and 0.25 Mb per picture;
- downloading a piece of music (a single 4-minute track, known as an MP3 file) could be expected to use about 4 Mb; and
- downloading a 5 minute music video or a movie trailer, with moving pictures and sound could be expected to use about 30 Mb.
- Downloading a 60 minute YouTube video in standard definition (SD) could be expected to use between 300 – 600 Mb
- Downloading a 90 minute high definition (HD) movie with sound could be expected to use more than 2 Gb